Thursday, October 25, 2012

Caught up in the Middle...

For the secondes.... Vacation begins Saturday, so.......

vocabulary

to sample (verb) = a. to take a short extract from (one record) and mix it into a different backing track 
sample (noun) = a small part of anything or one of a number, intended to show the quality, style, or nature of the whole
cover version, cover song, or cover = a new performance or recording of a contemporary or previously recorded, commercially released song. (Aretha Franklin's song "Respect" was originally done by Otis Redding.

"I Cry" is a song that is number 43 on the Billboard 100 charts in the United States today. (present)
Flo Rida's song was inspired by a song that was famous in the late 1980s. (past)
The original song has been sampled several times in other songs. (present perfect)
It had been sampled by Bingo Players before Flo Rida sampled it. (past perfect/past)

Listen to this Flo Rida song....Who sang the original version? Qwote and Pitbull?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLuWHr6-0YQ


What is Flo Rida's song about? Why is there so much water in the video? What does it represent?

We will play a game with this next song. I will ask each team to answer a question. You will get a point for a correct answer. I will remove a point if you teammate answers for you. Listen to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brenda+russell+piano+in+the+dark

"Piano in the Dark" was released in early 1988. The song became Brenda Russell's biggest hit, peaking at number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100, number 8 on the R&B Chart and number 3 on the Adult Contemporary Chart. The song was also a moderate hit in the UK, peaking at 23.

The song earned Russell three Grammy Award nominations in 1989, including one for Song of the Year.

Who sings this original song? (tense:                             ) Answer: 
What is the name of this song? (tense:                             ) Answer:

When I find myself watching the time (tense:                                        )
I never think about all the funny things (tense:                                        )
you said (tense:                                        )
I feel like it's dead (definition of dead:                                       )
Where is it leading me now (definition of now:                                   )

I turn around in the still of the room (definition of room:                                      )
Knowing this is when I'm gonna make my move (gonna is slang for:                                 )
Can't wait any longer (definition of wait:                                      )
And I'm feeling stronger but oh (definition of stronger:               )

Just as I walk through the door (definition of door:                                      )
I can feel your emotion (definition of feel:                          )
It's pullin' me back
Back to love you

I know I'm caught up in the middle (definition of caught:                               )
I cry just a little (definition of cry:                              )
When I think of letting go (definition of think:                                  )
Oh no, gave up on the riddle (definition of riddle:                                 )
I cry just a little
When he plays piano in the dark

He holds me close like a thief of the heart (definition of thief:                    )
He plays a melody
Born to tear me all apart
The silence is broken (definition of broken:                          )
And no words are spoken but oh (definition of spoken:                                  )



So, which version of the "Cry" song do you prefer?

We probably don't agree... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment